Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Days as a Big Girl.

I believe I have been in my classroom for a week and a half with set up and such. So we have been well acquainted. The scariest part about  my classroom was actually bringing students into it. Talk about nerve racking. The questions: do you like it? Do you feel comfortable here? Can you learn here? All came flying into my head as the first child crossed the threshold.

I should preface that I have not had a classroom full of children in it yet, because this week is all about screening students. For those of you that don't know, screening is a process over several days that allows a teacher to have one on one time with each student to assess their abilities. We look at things like their ability to balance and move. Can they sing the alphabet. We ask them to count, identify their colors and pronounce words. It runs the gammet of abilities that they will need to be successful in kindergarten.

I have had the chance to meet 9 wonderful children! Oddly enough, 8 girls, and only 1 boy. He will definitely be my handful student. He originally didn't want to come to the classroom, and then promptly cried on the way back to his father when he was done. Of course this would happen at 9 in the morning on my first day of being a big kid.

The other girls have been marvelous and will all prove to be part of a wonderful and dynamic classroom.

Quote of the day:
Miss Grant: "Are you excited to come to school?"
Student: "Yea. I never learn though. I never been to school before."
Miss Grant: "That's okay! That is why you are going to come to school. We will learn together."
Student: "But I never gone to school before."

Well, next Tuesday, my dear, you will begin a brand new year of learning. I can't wait to teach these beauties!! :)
M

No comments:

Post a Comment