Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Becoming Miss Grant

For the past few years I have been going into classrooms to practice different theories and philosophies of teaching, a way of getting more and more knowledge. I was always called Miss Grant in these classrooms, and found it a little odd, awkward, plain weird, but a tad bit endearing.

Who knew that being called "Teacher" 50 times in a day could make one want the odd-awkward-weird name back? I certainly didn't!!!

I found myself stressing this morning trying to finish all of the tedious projects that I needed to get done, like name cards, assigning seats for those who didn't show up for screening, and coloring things. When I was told that the students were about to arrive, stress came like a tsunami. Would my kids like me? Would they listen? Would they walk in a line? How was I going to get them from point A to point B?

I "calmly" walked outside, greeted the students, not remembering a single name. We said the pledge, and the other children began walking into the school. My class is the last in the line, making us the last to walk through the school. Walking in a straight line? Psh. I was lucky if 3 of them were in a proper line. We all got into the classroom and began the day.

Four bathroom and drink trips completed, three fire drills practiced, two books read, and one crying child later.....I was done. Parents picked the children up, I breathed, and found out. I'm still alive!

After walking back into the classroom without the children, I realized again that this is exactly where I need to be. I do love the children, I love working for them and with them. I love seeing them interact with me and with others in the classroom. I love seeing students begin to understand a new concept. I love watching students behave properly and rewarding them as such! This time is such a wonderful thing to be a witness to, and I couldn't imagine being elsewhere.

Off to go lesson plan! (With a bit of complaining mixed in, I mean who REALLY likes to write lesson plans?)
M

No comments:

Post a Comment