Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Hawaii Part 6

I am back. After traveling back from Hawaii, I traveled up to Maine, and decided to spend the majority of my time off the grid. But I am back in Mass, and must be on the grid. It certainly is easier down here.

This is the last part of my trip. If you missed any of the other parts you can go back through:

Hawaii Part 5

Hawaii Part 4

Hawaii Part 3

Hawaii Part 2

Hawaii Part 1

This weekend we went camping on the beach with Shawn and Megan's mini church. It was about 30 people who stayed over night, and about 20 other people who came and went. This was the most hi-tech camping I have ever done. We had a generator and 8 light bulbs going each night. Propane stoves were used for all meals. It was great!

Over the weekend, I went paddle-boarding, walked across a sand/coral bar to a small mountain, China Man's Hat. We played cards, talked for hours, and played in the ocean. It was a fabulous weekend!

My tent. We didn't have the rain shield, so the tarp was the next best thing! 

Shawn reeled this fish in, oio (I think is how it's spelled), and he had me put my fingers into its gill. It was gross. As can be told by my face. 

I finally got it! China Man's Hat is in the background. 

I woke up the next morning to see the sunrise. It was beautiful. The wind was very calm, and the temperature just perfect. The pictures are beautiful, and they still don't do the scene justice. Such an amazing opportunity. 



I was sitting and talking with some of the people from the church, when a woman and her daughter came over and asked if they were locals. As everyone was a local, she clarified that she needed someone who was visiting to complete a scavenger hunt list. I was volunteered as the non-local. She needed to take a picture of her daughter teaching someone how to do the Hawaiian Sway. I was told I caught on fast. Truth is, it wasn't too difficult to complete. The girl was very cute though! :) 

Side note: I completed a fishtail braid once previous to this camping trip. That happened to be during a chapel service senior year. Now I don't recommend doing anything other than listening during chapel, as Dr. Lindsay specifically gave me a glare one service as he walked down the aisle and saw me finishing up handwriting practice. I'm not sure which requires more attention, figuring out how to complete a fishtail braid in your own hair, or aimlessly writing. Either way. Chapel was a very productive time in my life. :) I would say that the practice then stuck with me; this braid came out wonderfully!


Sunday morning we had a variety of food to eat, but the best was the doughnuts. I had never seen purple doughnuts before. They are made out of the Hawaiian sweet potato. They were delicious, and tasted a tad like chocolate glazed doughnuts! 



Chipped fingernail polish and all! 
After all of the time in the sun, and many applications of sunscreen which didn't help, I looked like this: 



My skin didn't exactly like the Hawaiian sun... 

My last full day in Hawaii, I spent hanging out with Megan at our favorite store, where I found the greatest book of all time. Now if no one knows my love of Nutella, then we haven't spoken in a very long time, because it is talked about on a daily basis in my world. This book has some delicious looking recipes. I can't wait to try! 


We were hungry as we left the bookstore, so rather than just drinking coffee we went to a cheese steak shop right next door. It was delicious food, and the workers were practicing magic. As we eavesdropped, they started coming closer to us, and eventually gave us an hour and a half magic show! It was sooooo cool!!! Some crazy things were done! My biggest regret was not taking a picture of one of the tricks. But I will definitely remember it! 



It was finally Tuesday, and I had to head home. It sucked having to leave, but I was ready to get home to my typical life. Starbucks helped the transition.


If my spatial reasoning is correct that is Haunama Bay on the left, a volcano, and the lighthouse on the far right. It was beautiful to see during the day time! 



I made it home! Safe and Sound. After 14 hours of flying, and 3 different airport, I was back in the humidity of Massachusetts!

Keep traveling!
M

No comments:

Post a Comment